Do you wear a uniform to work? Have you had to wash it, repair it or replace it? Whether it’s simply a shirt with a logo or full head to toe attire, such as a nurse, chef or police officer, you may be entitled to claim uniform tax worth £100s over the past 4 years.
Can I claim it?
To be eligible to claim this tax relief, all of the following conditions must apply:
- Wear a recognisable uniform which shows you have a specific job, such as a nurse, a chef or a police officer. Even if your uniform isn’t branded and doesn’t have a logo, but you only wear it whilst working, you still may be entitled to the tax relief,
- You must wear it whilst you’re working,
- You’ve had to clean, replace or repair your uniform yourself,
- You paid income tax in the year/s you are claiming.
How do I claim uniform tax relief?
If you already fill in a self-assessment, you can simply add it to your expenses. If not, you can claim this relief by:
Letter - If this is your first time claiming the work uniform relief, you must contact HMRC in writing using the following address: HM Revenue & Customs, Pay As You Earn, PO Box 1970, Liverpool, L75 1WX
Phone - Alternatively, If you have claimed this relief before, you can contact HMRC by phone at 0845 300 0627
Before you contact HMRC, be sure to have this information to hand:
- Name and address of employer
- Industry you work in
- your occupation
- details of any laundry or cleaning services provided by employer
- details of payment or vouchers provided by your employer to cover laundry or other costs.
The team at SimpleTax are committed to making your tax experience as trouble-free as possible. If there are savings to be made, we’ll tell you about it.
Other Keywords: clothing; clothes; shoes; boots; workwear; shirts; attire; garments; apparel